Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Ural's Gaucho Rambler Finally Unveiled!

Image swiped from Ural's site.
Just in case you missed it, over the last couple weeks I have worked myself into a bit of a lather over Ural's announcement of a limited edition bike, called the Gaucho Rambler, involving a collaboration with Pendleton Woolen Mills.

Well, with almost no fanfare - it's not even the first image you see when you go to their site - they put the bike up in the list of current models yesterday morning. In fact, if I hadn't been excited enough to check their list of current models, I might not have noticed the page for the Gaucho Rambler. But there it was, waiting for me like a big, blue, three-wheeled Christmas present hidden away behind the couch as a special, extra surprise.

I pored over the images and the description of the new bike with the enthusiasm of a little kid who just got an extra present handed to him on Christmas morning after already devouring all of the candy in his stocking. And then, having gawked at the photos and read all the copy, I sat back in my chair, and tried to decide what I think about this offering..

I have to say, I wouldn't kick it out of my garage if it showed up, but... maybe I'm not the target market for this bike after all. Given my choice between the Gaucho Rambler and the Gear Up, I'd go for the Gear Up.*

Unless a Yamal was in the line up as well. That bike would win over either of them. It has teeth.

I mean, it's not like I don't like the Gaucho Rambler, because I do. It's blue, it comes with a blanket and red-enameled camp kit, and it's an Ural. But I was expecting I'd have to restrain myself from running straight to the dealership after work to give them a down payment for one. And I didn't, no restraint was required, unlike at the dealership the other day when they pointed out that the gobi camo Gear Up was on sale.

This, of course, is good news for me. It means my finances are safe for another month.

Phew. I am relieved.


*The Gear Up comes with a shovel and a spotlight.  Every motorcycle should come with a shovel and a spotlight.

10 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Sometimes the problem with al of the hype is that they over built it.

It seems to happen a lot with movies and now with motorcycles.

Like you said you wouldn't kick it out of the garage if one showed up but if you had to choose........I too would go with a Yamal.

RichardM said...

It's the anticipation of what could be...

The real question now is "I wonder if the Gear-Up is still on sale?".

mq01 said...

hmm. great catch/post lucky. i wonder if anyone else even noticed the bike was released?! i bet not.

sitting back in my chair, thinking of a solid honest comment, and, cant help but say this out loud...

imho only. i would save my garage space for the yamal or solo, because, i prefer my toys with teeth and grit. for some reason, maybe its this shade of "pacific" blue, but the gaucho looks like a dirt bike to me. and that being the case i'd take a yamal over... but, i'd definitely take the gaucho's blanket and red camping gear!

Unknown said...

Lucky:

You might as well open your pocket book right now ! I know you want it. I'd imagine that you are already riding it, in your mind. And every waking moment is consumed dreaming about it.

Maybe you could take the Demo, out for a short ride

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Lucky said...

Trobairitz - Very true. If you're going to have a teaser campaign, whatever is being unveiled has to be pretty darned exciting in order to not be a total disappointment.

Richard M - Oh, I bet it is. I'm going to try not to think about it, though.

mq01 - It does kind of have that plastic-y dirt bike look. I agree about the blanket and camping gear.

I'm thinking I'm just going to have to get a nice blanket of my own and some camping gear. Maybe I can mount some knobby tires on the Triumph and call it an adventure bike...

Bob Skoot - I think taking a demo ride would be a very, very bad idea right now. It's one thing to want a shiny (well, maybe not shiny...) new Ural. It's another to have ridden one and then resist purchasing.

redlegsrides said...

Hmmm, apparently the kool-aid already drunk was not enough! :)

As to the Yamal, sure, it's got teeth but teeth can be added later to any model....I do like the Yamal's "panache" though.

The only difference between a Patrol and the Gear-UP is a spotlight, a shovel, gas/water can. I don't believe it comes with a windshield for the sidecar, which may or may not matter to you.

I think you should wait, get one of the new 2014 fuel-injected models and let us know what you think as you'll not have the bias that us carbureted models have......what do you say?

redlegsrides said...

I meant of course, us owners of carbureted models...not that we URAL riders are carbureted.... :)



red said...

Meh.

Painting it blue and adding a blanket doesn't give it any edge over the Gear-Up. Now that I think about it, I'm not really sure how they could top the Gear-Up.

Adding a few more ponies, refining the quality and workmanship would be a good start.

Lucky said...

Charlie6 - The Patrol I saw at the dealership had a windshield mounted on the sidecar. It also had a different saddle. Personally, I found the saddle on the Gear Up more comfortable.

Which leads me to a question: are the seats on the Urals all interchangeable?

I don't think I want to buy the first year of the fuel injected models. I'll let someone else have that pleasure, and get the next year when they have the bugs worked out.

Red - To be fair, it's a pretty cool blanket. Incidentally, I discovered that one can buy the exact blanket, minus the Ural tag, on the Pendleton site. Which says to me that I could get a Gear Up (or a Patrol) and buy whichever blanket I want to go with it.

redlegsrides said...

The tractor seat requires additional hardware in order to go where the bench seat goes. I like the bench seat because I can slide back a bit during the long rides to stretch out my knees.